Birchwood Automotive Group
- the types of personal information we collect about you;
- the purposes for which we collect that information;
- how we use that information;
- with whom we share that information;
- how we safeguard that information;
- the choices available to you regarding how we use your personal information; and
- how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
- Birchwood’s website https://www.birchwood.ca (the “Site”), as well as for any other websites or microsites operated by Birchwood (collectively and together with the Site, the “Sites”);
- web applications, mobile applications, tools, forums, chat bots, live chats, or social media pages offered by Birchwood on the Sites;
- information about product and services;
- purchasing or leasing a vehicle and/or other products;
- booking a vehicle service appointment;
- ordering vehicle parts;
- receiving trade in value of a vehicle;
- vehicle credit pre-approval;
- applying for a job at Birchwood;
- requesting a donation from Birchwood;
- live chat services;
- surveys, contests, or promotions;
- responding to inquiries and requests of customers or potential customers; and/or
- marketing information;
(collectively and together with the Sites, the “Service”).
- What personal information do we collect?
- What is the purpose of the collection and use of your personal information?
- To whom do we disclose your personal information?
- What if there is a change in the initial purpose of collection of your personal information?
- Do we knowingly collect personal information about children?
- How do we safeguard your personal information?
- Do we transfer your personal information to third parties located in other jurisdictions for storage or processing?
- How long do we retain your personal information?
- Do we collect, use, and disclose non-personal information about you?
- How do we ensure the accuracy of your personal information?
- How can you access your personal information?
- What types of “cookies” and/or other technologies do we use and how can you change your “cookie” settings?
- Do we use third party advertising partners? If so, how can you opt out of targeted advertising?
- What type of analytics services do we use and for what purpose? How can you disable analytics?
- Whom do you contact if you have an inquiry, complaint, or want to request a review of your personal information?
- How do we handle complaints?
- How do you withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information?
- How can you unsubscribe from our commercial electronic messages such as messages regarding new products or services?
“collection” means the act of gathering, acquiring, recording or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
“consent” means voluntary agreement with the collection, use and disclosure of personal information for defined purposes. Consent can be either express or implied and can be provided directly by the individual or by an authorized representative, such as a parent or guardian. Express consent is permission that is granted by an individual taking a positive step to signify consent and may be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is the assumption of consent that can reasonably be inferred from a user’s action or inaction.
“user” means an individual who uses the Service provided by Birchwood, including anyone else who accesses or visits the Sites.
“disclosure” means making personal information available to a third party.
“personal information” means information about an identifiable individual, but not aggregated information that cannot be associated with a specific individual.
“registered user” means a user who has created and registered an account with Birchwood, as well as a Subscribing Organization that has created and registered an account or accounts with Birchwood.
“Subscribing Organization” means a company, entity or organization, including any business that has subscribed to the Service.
“third party” means an individual other than the user, or the user’s agent, or an organization other than Birchwood or a Subscribing Organization.
“use” means the treatment, handling and management of personal information by and within Birchwood.
2. Personal Information We Collect
When you interact with us through the Service, we may collect or receive the following types of information.
Personal Information You Provide To Us
You may provide us with your personal information in different ways. For example, we may collect any or all of the following personal information about you if the information is reasonably required to provide the Service to you:
(a) information that you provide when you use the Service, become a registered user or otherwise complete forms for the Service, such as:
- your name, company name, birth date and/or the birth date of other members of your family, email address, facsimile number, postal address, telephone number, occupation, and employment history;
- billing address;
- payment method and credit card information when processing payment over the phone for processing deposits, payment for vehicle parts and service invoices. All other purchases are directed and handled by third parties such as STRIPE. When making payment on the Sites, you will be bound by the privacy policies of third parties processing payment.
- information about your driving habits (such as preferred car size, colour, type of vehicle kilometres driven annually, etc.);
- information about your existing vehicle and any trade-in;
- details of your vehicle and its service and/or repair history;
- driver’s licence (including photocopies and your displayed information, such as age, gender, height, etc.);
- name of insurance company and agent;
- insurance policy number and details about insurance coverage;
- language preference;
- date of birth;
- social insurance number and/or the social insurance number of other members of your family;
- financial and credit information about you and/or other members of your family such as salary, property market value and monthly payments, job status, the principal amount of your loan, interest and repayment schedule. The specific information is set out in the credit application forms;
- health information if you are applying for life, health, disability or accident insurance;
- the amount of any life, health, disability or accident insurance and details of such insurance; and/or
- career information when you apply for a job with Birchwood such as name, educational and employment background, contact information, job qualifications and skills, resumé, employment references, and salary requirements;
Please Note: Provision of your Social Insurance Number is optional. However, you should be aware that most credit reporting agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports. If you do not wish to provide your Social Insurance Number, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected.
(b) your log-in and password details in connection with your Birchwood account, including your username;
(c) your correspondence with Birchwood employees, including any questions, concerns or comments you may have about the Service or problems that you report;
(d) comments, videos, photographs, and any other content or information that you may submit to the Service; and/or
(e) details of your requests made through the Service.
Technical Information We Collect Automatically
When you visit the Sites, we may collect, using electronic means, technical information. This information may include:
(a) the IP address of your computer and which browser you used to view our Sites;
(b) operating system;
(c) resolution of screen;
(e) language settings in browsers; and/or
(f) the site you came from and searched for keywords if arriving from a search engine.
This technical information (some of which in certain instances may be considered personal information) is aggregated and used to measure and improve effectiveness of our Sites. We do not attempt to combine this technical information with other personal information we collect on our Sites.
3. Purpose of Collection and Use of Personal Information
Birchwood collects your personal information and will use this personal information as is reasonably required for the following purposes:
(a) if you are a registered user, to establish and maintain your Birchwood account;
(b) to complete your credit application and verify your information;
(c) to enter into and perform transactions for the use, purchase, finance, lease, or repair of products and services offered by us and our service providers;
(d) to maintain customer service records;
(e) to provide web applications, the Service, and/or the other services or information that you request;
(f) to verify your identity if you submit comments, videos, photographs, opinions, or any other content or information to the Service;
(g) to respond to questions, comments, requests, job applications, or complaints that you submit to Birchwood;
(h) to collect amounts owing from you to Birchwood, if applicable;
(i) to track communications with you;
(j) to analyze use of the Service and to improve the Service;
(k) to administer contests and promotions;
(l) to send emails, newsletters, regular mail or other communications you have consented to receive from Birchwood;
(m) to provide Service-related announcements or notifications to you such as any warranty issues, product recalls, customer service campaigns, or customer notices regarding the Service;
(n) to aggregate your personal information resulting from the combination and/or aggregation of certain raw personal information collected from you with other data in a way that no longer personally identifies you;
(o) to display advertising on the Sites or to manage and serve our advertising on other sites. See Section 14 on targeted advertising and how you may opt out;
(p) to fulfill a purpose that we disclose to you when we request your personal information; and/or
(q) to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
Your personal information will only be collected and used by Birchwood and employees, agents, partners and service providers in a manner consistent with the activities of the Birchwood. Access to your personal information by Birchwood employees, agents, partners and service providers is limited only to those authorized, based on their need to deal with the personal information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained, including to enable them to perform a business, professional or technical support function for Birchwood.
4. Disclosure of Personal Information
Birchwood may disclose your personal information to:
(a) its employees, agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, partners, and service providers as is reasonably necessary to enable these parties to perform a business, professional or technical support function for Birchwood. Service providers may include those who provide satellite radio services in some vehicles, vehicle protection products, and other vendors that provide data hosting, marketing and promotional administration assistance, and customer service surveys and initiatives;
(b) motor vehicle manufacturers in connection with the provision of the Service;
(c) a person who, in the reasonable judgment of Birchwood, is seeking the information as your agent; and
(d) a third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or the disclosure is permitted or required by law. For example, to prevent potential harm to it, its customers, or the public, in connection with a government inquiry or law enforcement activities, in litigation or dispute resolution, or to detect, prevent or address fraud or security issues.
Corporate Reorganization and Business Transfers
5. Change of Purpose
Birchwood will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and obtain your express consent to do so pursuant to Section 21.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent where this is required or permitted by law.
The Service is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 16, we will take appropriate steps to delete that personal information. If you become aware or believe that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us as provided in Section 17.
7. Safeguarding Your Personal Information
Birchwood is committed to safeguarding your personal information. Birchwood uses appropriate security measures to protect personal information against risks such as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, misuse, modification or destruction, and any other unlawful form of processing of the personal information in our possession regardless of the format in which it is held. The methods of protection and safeguards used by Birchwood include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative safeguards such as privacy and security policies and procedures, privacy and data protection training for Birchwood staff;
- Technical safeguards such as security testing, vulnerability scans, and technological measures, including the use of passwords, encryption, firewalls, and secure coding frameworks;
- Physical safeguards such as locked filing cabinets, and need-to-know access for Birchwood
Birchwood also ensures that its employees with access to personal information are made aware of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of personal information.
Birchwood takes care in disposing of or destroying personal information to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to the information.
While Birchwood is committed to safeguarding your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal information we collect either directly or automatically from you, and you do so at your own risk.
Birchwood cannot guarantee that such personal information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our security safeguards. To the degree that personal information is of a sensitive nature, in the event of a breach, there may be a risk of significant harm to you which includes bodily harm, humiliation, damage to reputation or relationships, loss of employment, business or professional opportunities, financial loss, identity theft, negative effects on the credit record and damage to or loss of property.
Birchwood also cannot guarantee that information sent or received over the Internet is secure and does not make any representation or warranty concerning the security of personal information communicated to or from Birchwood via the Internet or regarding the interception by third parties.
8. Cross Border Transfer of Personal Information
Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we engage third party service providers (e.g. Canada, United States, and/or Europe). While such information is outside of your country of residence, it is subject to the law of the country in which it is held, and may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts, or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of such other country, pursuant to the laws of such country. For example, personal information stored in the United States is subject to the US PATRIOT ACT.
Where and when appropriate, we will transmit amended personal information to third parties having access to the personal information in question.
9. Retention of Personal Information
Birchwood will only keep personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the relevant purposes set out in the Policy Privacy and in order to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations. To determine the appropriate retention period for your information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your information, the purposes for which we process your information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
10. Non-Personal Information
We may collect, use and disclose non-personal information, including aggregated data resulting from the combination and/or aggregation or certain raw data collected from you with other data in a way that no longer personally identifies you. We make no attempt to link this non-personal information with the identity of individuals. We may permanently archive non-personal information for future use in any manner whatsoever.
11. Accuracy of Personal Information
Birchwood is committed to keeping your personal information as complete, up-to-date and accurate as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. Birchwood will promptly correct or complete any personal information found to be inaccurate or incomplete.
12. Access to Personal Information
Upon request, Birchwood will provide you with a reasonable opportunity to review the accuracy of your personal information. Such personal information will be provided within a reasonable time of the request and at a minimal or no cost to you.
Also upon request, Birchwood will provide an account of the use and disclosure of your personal information and, where reasonably possible, will state the source of the information. In providing an account of disclosure, Birchwood will provide a list of organizations to which it may have disclosed personal information about you when it is not possible to provide an actual list.
In certain situations, Birchwood may not be able to provide access to all of the personal information we hold about you. In such a case, we will provide the reasons for denying access upon request. Such reasons may include:
(a) if doing so would likely reveal personal information about another individual that cannot be severed or the information could reasonably be expected to threaten the life or security of another individual;
(b) if doing so would reveal any of our confidential information;
(c) if the information is protected by solicitor-client privilege;
(d) if the information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process; or
(e) if the information was collected in relation to the investigation of a breach of an agreement or a contravention of a federal or provincial law, or that of a foreign jurisdiction.
15. Targeted Advertising and How You May Opt Out
We may use third party advertising partners such as advertising networks, exchanges, and social media platforms to display advertising on the Sites or to manage and serve our advertising on other sites. You have a variety of options to opt out of interest based advertising ranging from browser controls, add on utilities such as ad blockers, and other opt out tools. Opt out tools may include organizations such as:
The Sites employ Google Analytics, a web analysis service from Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies,” which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyze how users use the Sites, compiling reports on the Sites’ activity for the Sites’ operators and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. The information generated by the cookie (including the IP address) is transferred and stored on a Google server located in the United States.
Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other information held by Google.
We may also use additional analytics programs from time to time to process non-personal information about you.
We make no attempt to link this non-personal information with the identity of individuals using the Service. Non-personal information may be permanently archived for future use in any manner whatsoever by Birchwood.
Disable Google Analytics
You can prevent the collection and processing of cookie created data relating to your utilization of the Sites (including your IP) via Google by downloading and installing the browser-plugin available under the following link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en).
Google currently offers this opt-out tool for Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Opera.
17. Contact Us
Birchwood Privacy Officer
Mailing Address: Unit 35D-3965 Portage Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba R3K 2H7
Telephone No.: 1-855-573-9403
19. Withdrawing Consent
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by Birchwood at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. In certain circumstances, your withdrawal of consent may result in the inability of Birchwood to continue providing aspects or optimization of the Service to you. Please contact Birchwood for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
20. Unsubscribe from Commercial Electronic Messages
We may send you commercial electronic messages (such as marketing or promotional messages) if you have:
- provided us with your express consent to receive these messages;
- recently purchased or leased a product or service from us;
- entered into a contract with us or some other form of business relationship with us;
- requested information from us; or
- applicable law otherwise permits us to send commercial electronic messages to you.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from Birchwood regarding our new products or services, promotions or other similar communications, you may unsubscribe here.
Please note that, after you unsubscribe, Birchwood may still send electronic communications to you in certain limited circumstances, such as to provide you with Service notifications and billing information, or to provide information that Birchwood is legally obligated to provide you.
Date: November 20, 2020